And the Nominees Are…
The National Media Awards Foundation (NMAF) is pleased to present the nominees for the 8th annual Digital Publishing Awards. Our panel of volunteer judges generously volunteered their time and expertise to evaluate hundreds of entries, helping us recognize excellence in the content and creation of Canadian digital media. From the judges’ deliberations, more than 150 impressive finalists have emerged. Join us in congratulating all of this year’s nominees!
Awards Soirée 🎉
We’re excited to announce the return of the Digital Publishing Awards Soirée, hosted by Anita Li and taking place on June 2, 2023, at Arcadian Court in Toronto. This reception and ceremony will be a celebration of the best in digital publishing, honouring the creators, storytellers, editors, and publishers who are pushing the boundaries of digital content. Secure your spot today and save on your ticket purchase with our Early Bird pricing until May 22!
The deadline for credit changes was Monday, May 8, 2023. Changes are no longer being accepted.
Top Nominees & Nomination Highlights
- Top nominees this year are Radio-Canada with 26 nominations and The Globe and Mail with 23 nominations, followed by CBC with 15 nominations (plus one co-production with Radio-Canada) and The Narwhal with 13 nominations; The Narwhal shares an additional nomination in collaboration with Winnipeg Free Press in Best Feature Article for “Residents of Peguis First Nation face an impossible choice as they tackle yet another major flood.”
- Other top nominees include Toronto Star with nine nominations and Le Devoir with seven nominations; Toronto Star shares an additional nomination in collaboration with Hamilton Spectator in Best News Coverage for “Unchartered.”
- J.B. MacKinnon’s “The Demon River,” published by Hakai Institute is nominated twice, for Best Feature Article: Long and Best Science & Technology Storytelling.
- Jana G. Pruden has two nominations for Best Feature Article: Long, for “In her defence” and “Canada’s boar war,” both published in The Globe and Mail.
- In addition to her work with The Narwhal, Emma Gilchrist is nominated in Best Personal Essay for “The harrowing, heartbreaking reality of terminating a pregnancy for medical reasons,” published in The Globe and Mail.
- Nancy Matsumoto, Virginie Gosselin and the Air Canada enRoute team are nominated for Canada’s Best New Restaurants 2022 in both Best Digital Design and Best Service Feature
The National Media Awards Foundation is extremely grateful for the support of the Government of Canada and The Reader’s Digest Foundation of Canada.
Through our awards programs, the NMAF supports the growth of robust journalism by inspiring both established professionals and emerging talent to persist in their essential contributions to society. The NMAF is a registered charity and you can help support our mission by donating now through Canada Helps. Your donation will have a direct impact on our ability to serve the magazine and digital media industry through awards programs and professional development activities. You’ll receive a tax receipt for any donation of $25 or more. Thank you for your support!