To review its Digital Publishing Awards program for 2020, the NMAF worked in consultation with a panel of industry professionals. This year’s Advisory Committee provided invaluable guidance in crafting the 5th annual Digital Publishing Awards. Members included:
Elamin Abdelmahmoud — Editor, Social Media and News Curation, Buzzfeed Canada
Matt Frehner — Head of Presentation, The Globe and Mail
Kenny Yum — Chief of staff, Senior Director, CBC News
Notable changes for 2020 include:
- “Best News Coverage (Small Newsroom)” has been changed to “Best News Coverage (Community Publication),” with revisions to the category definition.
- One new category has been added to the program: Best Feature Article, honouring the best feature story between 2001 to 4000 words. The addition of this category complements the Best Feature Article: Short (new word count requirement: max 2000 words) and Best Feature Article: Long (new word count requirement: minimum 4001 words) categories.
- The Fiction category has been cancelled. We encourage you to check out the National Magazine Awards program, which offers a fiction category.
- The video lengths for each of the Best Online Video categories have been revised:
- Best Online Video: Short now honours creative excellence in the production of a video by a digital publisher that is less than four (4) minutes in length.
- Best Online Video: Feature now honours creative excellence in the production of a video by a digital publisher that is between four (4) and six (6) minutes in length.
- Best Online Video: Mini-Doc now honours creative excellence in the production of a video by a digital publisher that is longer than six (6) minutes in length.
Please visit the Categories & Submission Requirements page to view the DPA’s full category line-up for 2020.