The National Media Awards Foundation is pleased to announce the line-up of categories for the fourth annual Digital Publishing Awards. The awards will be across 23 categories, including one new category; Best Editorial Newsletter.
To review its Digital Publishing Awards program for 2019, the NMAF worked in consultation with a panel of industry professionals. Our thanks to this year’s Advisory Committee members, who provided invaluable guidance to crafting the 4th annual DPAs, include:
Matt Frehner – Head of Visual Journalism, The Globe and Mail
Philippe Gohier – Editor in Chief, VICE Québec
Lindsay Sample – Managing Editor, Discourse Media
David Topping – Senior Manager of Product, St. Joseph Communications, Media Group
Notable changes for 2019 include:
- The awards for the three Best Service Feature categories (Lifestyle; Careers and Personal Finances; Family and Health), have been merged into one single category rewarding excellence in service journalism.
- One new category has been added to the program: Best Editorial Newsletter. This award honours the outstanding work of an editorial team in creating original and engaging content via a regular email series that best serves its intended audience by maximizing the potential of digital publishing.
2019 DPA Categories:
- Best Digital Editorial Package
- Best Column
- Best News Coverage (Small newsroom)
- Best News Coverage
- Best Feature Article: Short
- Best Feature Article: Long
- Best Personal Essay
- Best Arts & Culture Storytelling
- Best Science & Technology Storytelling
- Best Service Feature
- Best Online Video: Short
- Best Online Video: Feature
- Best Online Video: Mini-Doc
- Best Podcast
- Best Digital Design
- Best Photo Storytelling
- Best Social Storytelling
- Best Editorial Newsletter
- Innovation in Digital Storytelling
- Emerging Excellence Award
- Leadership Excellence Award
- General Excellence in Digital Publishing: Small, Medium & Large Publications
For complete category definitions, rules and judging procedures, visit digitalpublishingawards.ca.
2019 CALL FOR ENTRIES
Submissions for the 2018 Digital Publishing Awards will be accepted from January 2-31, 2019. The DPAs are open to all Canadian digital publishers— including those that support established brands in consumer & B2B magazines, newspapers, broadcast and other journalism, as well as those that serve their audiences exclusively as digital brands—published in either English or French.
We’re currently accepting nominations for individuals to serve on the jury for the 2019 DPAs, and join the great tradition of recognizing achievement by the creators of Canadian magazines and digital publications. We’re looking for nominations of individuals who bring different industry perspectives – from recognized leaders to celebrated emerging talents. We also aim for judging panels to reflect our country’s diverse Indigenous, cultural, and regional communities.
For news and updates about the DPAs, follow the Digital Publishing Awards on Twitter @DPAwards and #DPA19.